LoopLR is a real time social video platform for
the creation and distribution of user produced video content on Smartphones and Tabs.
We have interviewed the very resilient and determined Mr. “David Chorlton“; Co-Founder and CEO of the US & Spain (Marbella, Malaga & San Diego California)-based start-up “http://www.LoopLR.com” regarding his Company.
LoopLR is a real-time video sharing app for Smartphones. It lets you shoot share and watch videos with other members of the Looplr community.
Below is the full interview that we have conducted with Mr. Chorlton regarding his start-up “LoopLR.com”;
1. What is it exactly that you do and what “LoopLR” is all about?
LoopLR is a real time social video platform for the creation and distribution of user produced video content on Smartphones and Tabs. We are engineering a social experience that will enable LoopLR to take a leading role in next generation social networks for mobile and connected device platforms.
2. When has “LoopLR” been founded? And what stage is “LoopLR” currently at?
LoopLR was founded in 2011 as a result of the founding team experimenting with real time social video apps, ideas and concepts. Video has a sweet spot amongst the founders, so the decision was made to build something that could be very big and based around the core concepts of video and Smartphones.
3. What is “LoopLR” business model and how does it work?
Our business model is figured out and will be introduced when we are happy that LoopLR has scaled to some size that will allow the business model to take hold.LoopLR is very focused on the mobile channel so its business model is also. We are confident that we have identified multiple user friendly revenue streams that can scale.
4. How did your team meet? And who in your team does what?
We met through a variety of paths , and all led to this place , its strange sometimes how a Startup team comes together , each are similar but so different, its facinating.
Our Story can be traced back to mobile ventures from 2007 onwards, where we worked in the same space.
We are a small team 7 in total but very focused and I think have achieved a lot with very modest resources just and idea, belief, vision and the will to execute on that.
CEO / CFO / COO/ CTO frankly don’t mean a thing in a Startup.
We just all do whatever we need to do to make sure we are on target to meet our next objectives. What else is there ?
5. What, exactly, makes you different from existing options, what will make your product and/or service stand out in the marketplace? In other words what’s unique about you and what’s new about what you make?
You have to be clear about your own vision for what you are doing and why you are doing it. If you are blown of course because a competitor announces XYZ in a press release or adds ABC features to their app, then really its time to rethink things.We at LoopLR are very clear on where we are going and what we want to achieve.
6. What is your growth like? And what milestones has “LoopLR” achieved so far?
1) Development of real time social video serverside infrastructure
2)The development of native apps for both Android and iOS platforms
3)Develop real time web app for desktop use.
4) Development of mobile version of web app to work on mobile browsers.
5)Deep integration to FaceBook and Twitter accross all apps & platforms.
7. Who are your competitors? And what is “LoopLR”s competitive advantage over them?
There are a few players in the social video space.Viddy,Klip and Socialcam.We are similar in that they involve video,but I think thereafter we are all doing our own thing with that video.We are the baby of the bunch as we don’t yet have the backing of VCs to go out there and compete hard.Right now,its product and users for us.
8. What obstacles did you face and how did you overcome them?
Wow, where to start this one ! . Basically, a Startup is a long set of obstacles to overcome and it often begins with ‘ what are we going to call it ! ? ‘
Once that’s out of the way, the real work begins .
The obstacles are varied and many and how we mangage and deal with them defines largely who we are.
9. What are the key things about your field that outsiders don’t understand?
I don’t think a lot of people yet fully understand the mobile space , its eco system, and the explosive growth yet to be realised from Smartphones and tabs in the video space.
Its going to be massive , these devices are THE content creation and consumption devices , and when hooked up to WIFI , well !
10. Why are you going to succeed?
Because we will not stop until we do.!
I find it helps to look up and keep an eye on the big vision.
That usually does the trick when the going gets tough – its ‘ YEAH ! that’s why we are doing this !’
We know we are in the’ right space at the right time with the right team, , we can say yes to all three.
11. If “LoopLR” succeeds, what additional areas might you be able to expand into?
The potential for video on all platforms and devices is so vast , all our efforts and resources would continue to be focused on deeper and deeper integration of LoopLR as a platform into the global social video ecosystem , social video is mobile and tablets its just beginning , so we will be there.
12. Why did you choose this idea and concept to build “LoopLR” based on?
We began experimenting with some social concepts and web apps in 2010 ,we were and are obsessed with real time events,interactions, and delivery of content , nobody should have to refresh a page in 2012 !
But video and mobile are our first loves and so it was LoopLR was born real time on our platform.
13. What have you learned so far from launching your idea?
Anyone can have an idea. Taking that idea and creating something that actually has real users contributing to it and interacting with it is where its at.
The number one lesson is that anything is possible. Other lessons learned ? Wow , loads,we are learning something new everyday and that’s awesome.
14. Six months from now, what’s going to be your biggest problem?
I would say adding supremely talented developers to the team.
They are rare in my experience and we are already making approaches and talking to potential candidates way in advance of when we will need them.
This are not easy to find ,but i would rather have great developer this than three mediocre devs anyday.
15. What’s the benefit for the user?
LoopLR is easy, you just fire up your app, shoot videos or watch some videos, chat,hang out, express yourself.
LoopLR is fun, its entertaining, its social, its instant, it kills time, and it allows users to make new friends and create their own Loop and interact in their Loop, this is interesting.
16. How did customers and/or users find out about you?
To begin with we only got users via the Android market, After that started submitting it to lots of 3rd party app stores that started popping up., so we got more users here, then we went onto iOS and got more there, then app review sites started picking us up ,and users are beginning to invite friends,. Motion.
17. Who are your current users? Who are your target users?
We are building for people who want a new mobile social experience.
I am also passionate in my belief that there are 100’s of millions of users who seek the same and will gravitate to the same place , once the destination of that place is known to them. Our vision is that place, we are building it.
18. Where do new users come from and what makes new users try you?
New users are coming in from the app stores mainly Google Play and the App Store for iOS version.
Its not easy for new apps to get noticed you just to keep obsessing over the quality,usability, functionality of the app until you get to the point where users start telling their friends about your app.
19. What do your users say about your product and/or service?
We have been getting some very positive feedback from users so far. I am not saying all users are ecstatic , but the ones who are providing feedback 90 % of the time are happy, so I can only report on the actual feedback we are receiving via app store ratings, e-mails from users , and in app feedback. So happy.
20. How are you going to scale?
Great developers are the key.
But, no matter how much we prepare, when our growth cycle goes into overdrive its always going to be a white knuckle ride , but i am 100 % confident that our team will deal with it as and when it happens.
In short its the ultimate challenge for any Startup like ours, cant wait.
21. What’s the biggest missing feature? The one thing customers keep asking for?
We are focusing more on invisible server side things as opposed to visual in app features, we are working very hard on key social elements within the app as we have not nailed these down to their full potential.
They are working, users are using them but the full power in these features has not yet been unlocked.
22. Are you going to internationalize? And if yes how are you planning to expand your start-up’s operations accordingly?
We are a multi -cultural team and so its in our DNA to be excited about expanding LoopLR globally.
The process has already started mentally for us, so while we are 100 % focused on what we must, we are thinking ahead constantly and going global is very much part of that, its not be rushed into , but we will be there .
23. How big do you think you can get? Why? And how you are planning to achieve your goals?
We need to be very large indeed to reach the scale required to enable us to fully execute on the vision.
Its not about % of some market, its about becoming a default destination for the type of user you are connecting with.
All our efforts are focused on being that default destination for our target users.
24. Are you looking to hire a new workforce? And if yes, what job vacancies do you currently offer and where can potential applicants contact you at?
At the moment we are not hiring , but we are definitely looking, So, we are always interested in talking to:
1) Supremely talented mobile and server side developers.
2) A communications and PR maven who can open doors we need opening.You know who you are.
Just e-mail us in the first instance: firstname.lastname@example.org
25. Are you looking for partnership opportunities or funding from Venture Capitals (VC) or other funding sources? Or your business is self-sustainable? And if the first option applies where can potential partners / investors contact you at?
We are always interested in learning about opportunities that could benefit LoopLR.
Regarding VCs , yes we are looking for Series A funding. I don’t think VC funding is for everyone , but in the case of LoopLR , we as a team decided that this time , we should go the VC route to ensure we can power forward on the vision. If you are early stage and like the idea , i’m here: email@example.com
26. What advice do you have for fresh entrepreneurs?
Lean means smart, not anything else.
The ONLY thing you spend money on , is getting your product developed and out there so users can get on it.
Good luck if you do decide to jump off the cliff, it’s an awesome ride..
27. Finally, do you have any other comments that you would like to add?
Always do the best you can, not the easiest.
Whats ‘best ‘for my Startup , is sitting here for a whole day and working through all these questions.
The easy way would have taken 60 mins , but i would know deep down, that i did not do the best thing for my Startup that I could have and that would have bothered me.